EU's Foreign Policy and my work in the Foreign Affairs Committee (AFET)
The foreign and security policy of the EU is a topic I work with as a member of the Committee on Foreign Affairs (AFET) and the Committee on Security and Defence Subcommittee (SEDE).
I have been a member of the European Parliament’s Committee on Foreign Affairs (AFET) since my first term in 2009. My agenda is thus very broad and encompasses fields such as Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP), Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP), relations with the UN and other international organizations.
I also work on EU enlargement, with a special focus on the Western Balkan countries.
As a part of my work in AFET Committee I specialize in following topics:
- I am Chair of the Delegation to the EU-Serbia Stabilisation and Association Parliamentary Committee (D-RS), where I chair meetings of both – European and Serbian Parliaments.
- I was the European Parliament rapporteur for the European Neighborhood Instrument (ENI) during the previous legislature and I currently serve as the rapporteur for the Report on the review of the European Neighborhood Policy.
- In 2015, I was appointed the rapporteur for the Report on financing the Common Security and Defense Policy.
- As a shadow rapporteur of the European Parliament for the European People’s Party (EPP) I follow politics in Albania. In December 2014, I was part of the team that negotiated the return of the opposition back to parliament.
- I am a member of the so-called European Parliament’s “Troika” which facilitates a solution to the political crisis in Macedonia.
- In 2016, I was appointed Chief Observer of the EU Election Observation Mission (EOM) to Uganda by Federica Mogherini, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice-President of the European Commission, to observe the presidential, parliamentary, and local elections scheduled for February, 18.
- In 2014, I was a Chief Observer of the EU Election Observation Mission (EOM) to Maldives.
- In 2013, I led the observation mission of the European Parliament during the elections in Albania.